Friday, February 12, 2010

Type 4 | Designer Bio

Since I didn't find a particular designer for my area that I want to explore, I will give a bio of Andy Goldsworthy, because he is the closest to what I want to do.

Goldsworthy, born in 1956 is a British sculptor. He uses natural and found objects to create sculptures. Often his sculptures have to do with the environment that they exist in and can be both permanent and ephemeral.

For his ephemeral work, Goldsworthy often uses only materials and tools available to him in the environment. For his more permanent work the artist uses electric tools as well. In fact he often works with engineers so that his sculptures will withstand elemental conditions for a long time.

The recording of ephemera through photography is also an important part of his work. "Each work grows, stays, decays – integral parts of a cycle which the photograph shows at its heights, marking the moment when the work is most alive. There is an intensity about a work at its peak that I hope is expressed in the image. Process and decay are implicit."

No comments: